Last week, at my annual female appointment, I learned that last year's mammogram report said that there were "benign looking calcification spots on the right side." The card I got in the mail said that it was clear. So I thought clear meant what it said, clear.
Turns out those spots weren't so benign after all.
But I did what a lot of us ladies do, I took the card at face-value and did not question the results. Besides, what need did I have to question it? I'm young, have very little family history of cancer, and exercise and eat well.
Now I know to question those cards. Now I know that tumors can show up as calcification spots. I did not know those things in May 2009.
I have two things to say from my soap-box:
#1 Do your self-exams. Know your breasts, regardless of your age. After all, that is how I found my tumor last October (I absolutely shudder to think what would have happened had I not found it until this year's mammogram).
#2 We ladies have to take the initiative and ask questions. No one is going to be as concerned with our health as we ourselves are. Call the doctor's office and ask for the written results of the report that are in your chart. And don't think that you're immune just because of your age.
Save the TaTa's!!! (That's from a bumper-sticker Perry saw right after my diagnosis). But it is really about saving a whole lot more than just the TaTa's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Well said, Noelle.
ReplyDeleteHey, Noelle. Here's a blinkie you might like. Did we see this one? You have to do the html script then /script in the little greater than less than brackets.
ReplyDeletedocument.write(unescape("%20%20%20%20%3Ca%20href%3D%22 http%3A//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com%22%20target%3D%22blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20 src%3D%22http%3A//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/images/rsgallery/original/blinkee-hope-faith-love.gif %22%20border%3D%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E"));
I'm glad you found your place in "blogland". It's therapy and fun rolled into one.
ReplyDeleteIt's great to hear your good news!