Friday, July 9, 2010

A little sleep for the weary (wicked?)

After surgery, I feel like I have to learn how to sleep again. Sleep has been very fitfull for me the last week - tossing and turning, and still awake at 1:00 am (that's normal time for some of you, I know). But there is some improvement on the horizon.

The oncology nurse navigator gave me a couple of tips the other day. One was to wedge a pillow under my right side, to alleviate pressure being put on my arm. Another was to take a Benadryl to help me relax and get sleepy (hoping that once asleep, I would stay asleep). I've tried both of those the last two nights and slept a little better. Hoorah!

At least two people have told me this week that post-surgery is a six- to eight-week recovery process. I wonder why no one told me that before surgery! Now I know that I can't expect too much too fast, and I need to lower my expectations.

Sleep is just one of the areas where I am learning to be more patient.

1 comment:

  1. Well, there's no rest for the wicked, so you must be all right. :) Praying for more restful nights ahead.

    ReplyDelete